dear evan hansen

over the last few months, it's no secret I've been struggling. as I prepared for my new york trip (which was beyond incredible, but that's for another day), I started listening to a new ultra popular musical, dear evan hansen. and then my luck got even better, when I ran to the music box theatre to see this incredible AND SOLD OUT musical that changed my life forever. if you haven't already heard about this or seen any youtube videos of the incredible and adorable human bean Ben Platt, let me give you an inside scoop:

(like SERIOUSLY HOW CUTE IS HE?!)

dear evan hansen is a story about a mildly, okay SEVERELY, socially anxious high school senior who basically has no friends, except for one guy who is only friends with him so his parents will pay for his car insurance (WILL ROLAND I'M LOOKIN AT YOU). he stumbles across a slightly troubled guy at school, connor murphy, who later takes his own life. connor's parents find a letter that appears to be from evan, when in reality its a letter evan wrote to himself as part of a therapy assignment, the murphys believe that evan and connor were friends and instead of clearing the air, evan goes with the story. Eventually, he comes clean and loses this relationship with the murphys and zoe, connor’s sister, in particular. but throughout the play, you see find himself and realize that you are never alone.

and that's just it. the entire time I watched this show, my heart sang. I saw a little bit of myself in evan hansen. lonely, confused, hurt and left with a question as to why I had declared myself not enough. throughout this story, I quickly found what I had been missing. I hadn't realized that while I was hurting, I hadn't found out how strong I really was while I was on my own. and even more, I realized that I really wasn't alone. I had just convinced myself I was. this show proved so much to myself that I was more than what had turned my life into. so thank you evan hansen. this show changed my life and made everything about it better. I have never loved a moment of life more and learned a greater lesson. 







Much Love,
Sara Jean




Comments

Popular Posts